Coronavirus outbreak: With Coronavirus being declared a pandemic by the World Health Organization (WHO), Piyush Goyal-led Indian Railways is taking many measures to prevent the deadly COVID 19 virus from spreading! Recently, the Railway Board issued a set of preventive measures to all the zonal railways and the Indian Railway Catering and Tourism Corporation (IRCTC) that are to be implemented at all the catering establishments on the Indian Railways network. Take a look at some of the major preventive measures that are being implemented by the Railway Ministry on all the catering establishments of Indian Railways:
- The Railway Board has notified that no staff with symptoms such as cough, fever, running nose or difficulty in breathing should be deployed in the business of food handling.
- All catering staff has been directed to maintain personal hygiene as per FSSAI’s food safety norms/standards. All catering staff has been mandated to wear hand gloves, a facemask, head gear, etc. while dealing with food production. Also, they have been advised to wash their hands frequently with soaps, avoid touching their eyes, nose and mouth, avoid contact with persons coughing or sneezing, change the hand gloves frequently and dispose them off in closed dustbins.
- The Railway Board has directed all supervisors deployed in catering establishments to maintain personal hygiene as well as impart counselling to their subordinates in this regard.
- All the employees deployed in food production and catering services have been directed to wash their uniforms on a regular basis and wear clean uniforms on duty.
- All the catering establishments have been asked to maintain proper cleanliness, use of disinfectant on frequently touched objects and surfaces such as door handles