In wake of the novel coronavirus outbreak, the Indian Railways have suspended the operations of all passenger trains until April 14th, 2020. Given the severity of the situation, the suspension may be extended even further. If you were scheduled to travel during this time, it’s better to cancel your tickets.
You can avail full refund on your bookings through the official website of IRCTC (Indian Railway Catering and Tourism Corporation). Here’s everything you need to know about the refund policies, IRCTC charges, and more.
How to cancel your counter ticket and claim refund?
- First, you need to enter your PNR number, train number and captcha on IRCTC’s web portal
- Select the checkbox to confirm that you’ve read the terms and conditions
- Once you click on the submit button, you will receive an OTP on the mobile number provided at the time of booking. You need to enter the OTP and then click submit
- After the OTP is validated, the screen will display PNR details
- After you verify the details, click on the ‘cancel ticket’ tab for a full cancellation. Then the refund amount will be displayed on the screen
- You will receive an SMS with your PNR and refund details. The SMS should read ‘Your PNR XXXXXXX has been cancelled. Collect refund amt XXXX from journey commencing station or nearby satellite PRS locations. Ref. terms & conditions’
- If you want to cancel your ticket before 24 hours of scheduled train departure time, you can collect your refund of fare as permissible from any PRS counters of Indian Railways by submitting the original PRS counter ticket. However, the cancellation can be only done up to four hours before the scheduled departure time of the train in case of confirmed tickets and up to thirty minutes before the scheduled departure time of train in case of RAC/waitlisted tickets
- You can also claim for the refund offline. Visit the nearest PRS counter of Indian Railways and fill the cancellation requisition form with PNR and cancelled train details. You will receive your refund in the same mode that you had paid for the ticket